970908: netCDF 2.4.3: make problem: bad cpp(1)

Manuela,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Here is config.out:
>
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /home/data94/pplus
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /home/data94/pplus
> checking for C compiler... /usr/local/bin/gcc
> checking type of operating system... sunos5
> checking type of machine... sun4
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/local/bin/gcc -E
> checking the C preprocessor... configure: warning: C preprocessor,
> `/usr/local/bin/gcc -E', doesn't work
> checking for FORTRAN compiler... /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
> checking for C++ compiler...
> checking for yacc... /usr/ccs/bin/yacc
> checking for neqn... neqn
> checking for tbl... tbl
> checking for ar... /usr/ccs/bin/ar
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... /usr/local/bin/gcc -xM
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> checking size of int... configure: error: can not run test program while
> cross compiling
>
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such file or directory
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such file or directory
>
> I did not remember how to redirect standard output and standard error to
> the same file. In any case it seems that "cpp" is still the problem ...

The problem appears to be in executing the command "/usr/local/bin/gcc
-E".

Try the following:

    cat >/tmp/a.c <<EOF
        void main(){}
    EOF
    /usr/local/bin/gcc -E /tmp/a.c

You should see something like the following from the last command:

    # 1 "/tmp/a.c"
            void main(){}

I suspect, however, that you'll get an error message.  Please let me know
what happens.

--------