970908: netCDF 2.4.3: make problem

Manuela,

In the above message, you wrote:

> here is the content of config.log:
>
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such file or directory
>
> It seems to be the same problem as before, that is the path for "cpp"
> does not seem to be defined, although as you can see below from the ouput
> of "configure" it is defined and far as I know should be working properly.

Hmm...  Let's by-pass the configure script's attempt to discover the C
preprocessor.  Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level, netCDF, source directory.

    2.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    3.  Set your environment variables as before.

    4.  Set the environment variable CPP to "/usr/local/bin/gcc -E"

    5.  Execute the configure script.
        Redirect standard output and standard error to a file.
        If an error occurred, then send me that file, the file
        "config.log", and stop.

    6.  Execute the command "make".
        Redirect standard output and standard error to a file.
        If an error occurred, then send me the file and stop.

    7.  Execute the command "make test".
        Redirect standard output and standard error to a file.
        If an error occurred, then send me the file and stop.

    8.  Execute the command "make install".
        Redirect standard output and standard error to a file.
        If an error occurred, then send me the file and stop.

    9.  Execute the command "make clean".

--------