970908: netCDF 2.4.3: make problem

Manuela,

In the above message, you wrote:

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: Manuela Lorenzi Kayser <address@hidden>
> >Subject: make problem
>
> Russ,

> > > Makefile:355: warning: overriding commands for target
> > > `/home/data94/pplus/bin'
> > > Makefile:352: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> > > `/home/data94/pplus/bin'
> >
> > This looks like the output from Gnu make rather than the Sun make.  I'm
> > afraid we don't have or use Gnu make, so I can't help much with what
> > this means.  It appears to be just a warning, and perhaps you can ignore
> > it if the "make test" eventually works.

> > > /usr/local/bin/gcc -c  -I../libsrc  netcdf.cc
> > > gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such file or directory
> > > make[1]: *** [netcdf.o] Error 1
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/data94/pplus/netcdf/cxx'
> >
> > Here's where gcc is being used to try to compile C++ code.  If you want
> > to use GNU tools for this, you should specify g++ for the C++ compiler,
> > rather than gcc, and make sure g++ is installed and can compile, link,
> > and run a simple C++ "hello world" program.  OR, if you have it, you can
> > specify the Sun C++ compiler, CC.  Alternatively, if you don't need the
> > C++ interface to netCDF, you can just specify that you don't have a C++
> > compiler using the configuration option CXX="" before you run the
> > "configure" script.
> >

> I set CXX="" in the CONFIGURE file and here is its content after running
> "configure"
>
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /home/data94/pplus
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /home/data94/pplus
> checking for C compiler... /usr/local/bin/gcc
> checking type of operating system... sunos5
> checking type of machine... sun4
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/ccs/lib/cpp
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for FORTRAN compiler... /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
> checking for C++ compiler...
> checking for yacc... /usr/ccs/bin/yacc
> checking for neqn... neqn
> checking for tbl... tbl
> checking for ar... /usr/ccs/bin/ar
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... /usr/local/bin/gcc -xM
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> checking size of int... configure: error: can not run test program while
> cross compiling
>
> As you can tell I am not very familiar with the different processors and
> preprocessors. I do not understand what cross-compiling means ..
> I'll try not to bug you again for a while after your answer :)

Russ asked to to help you.

The "can not run test program while cross compiling" error message means
that the configure script couldn't compile a simple piece of code (so
it figures that it must be compiling for another system).  The reason
for the compilation failure will be in the file "config.log" in the
directory where you executed the configure script.

Would you please send me that file.

--------