Re: 970905: make problem

>To: address@hidden
>From: Manuela Lorenzi Kayser <address@hidden>
>Subject: make problem

Hi Manuela,

> I am trying to install the netcdf library and I seem to have 2 problems.
> Here is what I get after I run "make all":
>
> tempest.crseo.ucsb.edu{/home/data94/pplus/netcdf }54 : tail -f log
> Makefile:464: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/home/data94/pplus/etc'
> Makefile:540: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/home/data94/pplus/man'
> Makefile:518: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/home/data94/pplus/man'
> Makefile:578: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/home/data94/pplus/info'
> Makefile:575: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/home/data94/pplus/info'
> /usr/local/bin/gcc -c  -I../libsrc  netcdf.cc
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [netcdf.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/data94/pplus/netcdf/cxx'
> make: *** [cxx/all] Error 1
>
> I do not quite understand the "warning"s I am getting, but more important
> "cpp" seems not to be defined, although I defined in the CUSTOMIZE file
> in the netcdf directory and it appears to be right in the
> netcdf/cxx/Makefile.
>
> Could you give me a hint as to where else it might need to be defined?

I can't tell from the above what is wrong.  Could you please send us the
information requested under the "IF PROBLEMS OCCUR" heading of the
INSTALL document (it's in the top-level source directory of your source
distribution).  In particular, we to know need the platform on which you
are building netCDF, the version of netCDF you are trying to install,
the output of running the configure script, etc.

Also, make sure you have gcc installed so that you can compile, link,
and run a simple C program before you try to use it to build netCDF.

Thanks.

--Russ