970723: c netCDF libraries (cont.)

>From: Shana Baccam <address@hidden>

Shana,

>My sys admin has determined it's most likely not a
>problem with our name server.

We are speculating that the problem is that the forward and reverse
name service lookups for your machines don't match.  We setup our FTP
server to not allow machines whose forward and reverse name lookup
are not the same since this is a security related issue.

The unfortunate thing for us is that our logging was down when you tried
your FTPs so we can't say for certain if the above is the problem.  We
have reenabled our logging, and we want you to try your FTP again so
we can verify our assumption.

>Could you look into this
>issue further and let me know if you need more info
>from us?
>
>Using our nameserver:
>
># nslookup ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
>Default NIS Server:  star
>Address:  192.232.3.177
>Aliases:  us19host, us20host
>
>Name:    ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
>Address:  128.117.227.62

>Using another nameserver:
>
>Name:    laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
>Addresses:  128.117.227.62, 128.117.140.62, 128.117.149.62
>
>Is it possible to send me the libraries instead?
>
>Thanks,
>Shana
>
>From address@hidden  Wed Jul 23 15:18:23 1997
>
>Tom,
>
>% ftp 128.117.140.62
>Connected to 128.117.140.62.
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>
>% nslookup ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
>*** Can't find server name for address 192.232.1.1: Query refused
>*** Can't find server name for address 192.232.1.21: Query refused
>*** Can't find initialize address for server : Timed out
>Server:  localhost
>Bus error (core dumped)
>
>I'll send this to our system admin and will let you know what I
>find out.
>
>Thanks,
>Shana

Tom Yoksas