970723: c netCDF libraries (cont.)

>From: Shana Baccam <address@hidden>

Shana,

re: retry FTP
>No luck. I'm still getting the same errors. I can connect to
>other ftp sites with no problem.
>
>% ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
>Connected to ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>ftp>

Hmm...  I just logged into a machine in Jackson, MS and FTPed back
to Unidata with no problems:

ldm (santa): ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
Connected to laraine.unidata.ucar.edu.
220 laraine.unidata.ucar.edu FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-12](1)
Wed Mar 12 15:34:36 MST 1997) ready.
Name (ftp.unidata.ucar.edu:ldm): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230-
230-    Welcome, archive user!  This is an experimental FTP server.
230-    If have any unusual problems, please report them via e-mail to
ftp> quit

So, it looks like your name service is supplying the incorrect machine
for ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.  It is apparently still thinking that
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu is our old FTP server, groucho.unidata.ucar.edu.
Please do an nslookup on this and send us the results:

nslookup ftp.unidata.ucar.edu

In the interim, you can use the IP address for our FTP server:

ftp 128.117.140.62

Tom Yoksas