Re: 970722: NetCDF open

>To: address@hidden
>From: Douglas Rotman <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF open

Hi Doug,

Sorry to take so long to answer your question; it got lost in my mail
queue.

> I am running a computer model that opens and closes many netCDF files.
>
> I believe the code is following this pattern,
>
> Open NetCDF file
> Use data
> Close NetCDF file
> Open next file. ......
>
> I.E., I think I am closing one before I open the next.
>
> However, it appears that upon trying to open the nth NetCDF file,
> it says it can not find that file. (Am not exactly sure what n is,
> still looking into it).
>
> I know the file is there. It has opened it before.
>
> Am I hitting a hard limit of how many opens/closes I am allowed??
>
> If so, can I change that??
>
> Any other ideas of possible mistakes my me??

There is no netCDF-specific limit on how many opens/closes are allowed.
Your system only permits sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX) open files, so it's
possible you are running into that limit, if the closes are not getting
executed.

However, that would not cause a "file not found" error.

I don't think the problem is netCDF-related, but you can determine
whether it is or not by trying to open the same file with a different
I/O library function, such as fopen(), when you get the failure from
nc_open().  If fopen() works but nc_open() fails, please send us
details, or a small program that demonstrates the problem.

Thanks.

--Russ