Re: 970715: building netCDF 3.3.1 on NCAR's Crays

> From: address@hidden (Mary Haley)
> Subject: Re: 970715: building netCDF 3.3.1 on NCAR's Crays
> To: address@hidden (Russ Rew)

Mary,

> > Please let us know if this doesn't seem to help.
>
> Thanks Russ, this suggestion is what tipped me off to the problem.  I
> had untarred the tar file, and then I went straight to running
> "./configure --prefix=/...".  It wasn't finding the Fortran compiler
> for some reason, even though /opt/ctl/bin was on my search path.
>
> I found some notes in the INSTALL file about installing on a J90. I
> setenved FC to /opt/ctl/bin/f90 (and set some other env vars as well)
> and this seemed to do the trick.
>
> I guess my next question is: was it incorrect for me to assume that I
> could go straight to running "configure"? I thought a Cray J90 was
> supposed to be one of the supported systems, and that this meant I
> didn't have to make any changes to the source or set any environment
> variables before running "configure".

Yes, it was incorrect to just try running "configure" without reading
the INSTALL document and setting some environment variables first, but I
can see how you could assume that would work, since that's the way it
was done with netCDF 2.x.

With netCDF-3, we changed the philosophy of configure so that it now
requires you to specify some of the configuration information first, and
then we list some tested configurations in the INSTALL document.  One
reason for this approach is that configure can't possibly figure out
which of several available compilers you may want to use (cc vs. c89
vs. gcc, f77 vs. f90) or whether you want an optimized or debugging
version of the library, and there are not always good defaults for these
kind of choices.  Just running "configure" still works for some
platforms, but not all.

Maybe we should have told people about this change ... :-)

--Russ