Re: 970618: compiling netCDF on an sgi64 IRIX 6.2

>From: Matthew Banta <address@hidden>

> Ok, so I have never had to set environmental variables before. I finally
> figured it out.
>
> I find theses setting work a little better:
>
> CC='/bin/cc -64'
> CFLAGS="-O -woff 1110,1167"
> CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
> FC='/bin/f77 -64'
> FFLAGS=-O
> CXX='/bin/CC -64'
>
> Otherwise it crashes when it gets to the fortran and c++ parts. It doesn't
> matter if all you want is plain c.
>
> It still gets upset that something or other isn't optimized; but as long
> as it works I don't care.

The optimizing problem is only for the huge test program we generate;
the library optimizes fine.

I've described the problem with the IRIX INSTALL instructions and linked
to a new INSTALL document containing your corrections on our "Known
Problems" page at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/known_problems.html

Thanks.

--Russ