Re: 970618: compiling netCDF on an sgi64 IRIX 6.2

>From: Matthew Banta <address@hidden>

Matt,

> >     CC=/bin/cc -64
> >     CFLAGS="-O -woff 1110,1167"     # warnings 1110 & 1167 are
> > lex(1)-induced
> >     CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
> >     FC=/bin/f77 -64
> >     FFLAGS=-O
> >     CXX=/bin/CC
> >
> > it should instead be:
> >
> >     --------
> >
> >     CC='/bin/cc -64'
> >     CFLAGS="-O -woff 1110,1167"     # warnings 1110 & 1167 are
> > lex(1)-induced
> >     CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
> >     FC=/bin/f77 -64
> >     FFLAGS=-O
> >     CXX=/bin/CC
> >

> Adding quotes doesn't seem to help.
>
> Here is the error I receive:
> Making `install' in directory
> /salsify/users/mbanta1/netcdf/64net/netcdf-3.3/src/ncdump
>
>         /bin/cc -64 -c -O -DNDEBUG ncdump.c "ncdump.c", line 13:
> error(1005): could not open source file "netcdf.h"
>   #include <netcdf.h>
>                      ^
>
> 1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "ncdump.c".

If you are using the Makefiles that came with the distribution, this
should have been invoked by "make" as

         /bin/cc -64 -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG ncdump.c

which is what happens on our IRIX 64 6.2 system.  The "-I../libsrc"
comes from line 11 of src/ncdump/Makefile:

    INCLUDES    = -I../libsrc

and this in turn is defined as part of the "CPPFLAGS" macro in
src/macros.make.

> I don't understand this error. especially considering the fact that after I
> saw this message I copied netcdf.h in most of the directories (including
> /ncdump)
>
> part of the problem may be that I don't know if
> I should modify macros.make.in or macros.make.def. I triple checked
> INSTALL and README but they really didn't say.

You shouldn't need to modify any of the files in the distribution,
including Makefiles, the configure script, or either of "macros.make" or
"rules.make".  If you have modified any of these to try to get the
package to build, it might be best to just start over with a fresh
distribution.

Otherwise, we'll need more information to diagnose the problem, since we
can't reproduce it here.  Please follow the steps for reporting a
problem under the "IF PROBLEMS OCCUR" heading at the bottom of the
INSTALL file, and send address@hidden all the information
listed there.  Thanks.

--Russ