Re: 970617: netCDF

>To: address@hidden
>From: Bill Hudson <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF

Hi Bill,

>  My Name is Bill Hudson and I work at Applied Research Laboratory which is
> part of Penn State. I downloaded GMT from the net on my pc and used ftp to
> put the files in our HP 9000/700, since the HP is unregistered. I expanded
> "netcdf.tar.z" using the method used in the install_gmt 3.11 17 October 1995
> I received from "address@hidden".  As suggested in the
> "INSTALL" file I used "configure --prefix.." to do the manual install of
> netcdf and received:
>
> $ configure --prefix=..
> reading configuration customizations
> checking for type of operating system
> ./configure: conftest.c: cannot create
> cc: error 2151: Can't open "conftest.c".
> rm: conftest.c non-existent
> ./configure: conf.missing: cannot create
> $
>
> Any suggestions?

It appears that you're just trying to build the software in a directory
in which you don't have permission to create files.  You can check this
by trying the following in the directory from which you're trying to run
the configure script:

   echo xxx > yyy

If you get the message

   yyy: cannot create

that will verify the problem.

It also appears that you are using an older version of netCDF than we
currently support.  This may be OK if GMT requires it, but if you have
further problems, you may want to get our current version of netCDF and
install that instead.  It's been tested on HP-UX systems and is
available from:

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

--Russ