Re: 970617: netCDF

>To: address@hidden
>From: Werner Wintels <address@hidden>

Hi Werner,

> I am attempting to install netcdf-3.3.1 on IRIX Release 6.0.1 IP26 and
> have tried the variious permutations of environmental configurations
> suggested in the INSTALL files. All seem to yield the following message
> while running the "make" command:
>
> Making `all' in directory /part2/wintels/netcdf-3.3.1/src/cxx
>
>         /bin/CC -c -g -woff 1110,1167 -I../libsrc -DNDEBUG netcdf.cc
> FATAL 11: Object file format error (netcdf.cc): unrecognizable format
> CC ERROR:  /usr/lib64/cmplrs/ld64 returned non-zero status 1
> *** Error code 2 (bu21)
>
> make: fatal error.
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
>
> make: fatal error.
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
>
> Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

I just tried the invoking the command

   /bin/CC -c -g -woff 1110,1167 -I../libsrc -DNDEBUG netcdf.cc

in the netcdf src/cxx directory on an IRIX Release 6.2 IP26, and it
worked with no problem.  It also worked on an IRIX 5.3 system, though in
that case it issued a warning about "integer conversion resulted in a
change of sign".  We don't have an IRIX 6.0 system on which to try this,
so we can't reproduce the error.

Is it possible it's just a configuration problem with your C++ compiler?
For example, are you able to compile and run a simple C++ program such
as the following 4-liner?

#include <iostream.h>
int main()
{
    cout << "hello, world\n";
}

I don't know why /bin/CC would think netcdf.cc (a C++ source file) is an
object file.  Maybe that version of /bin/CC requires a different file
extension than .cc?

A possible workaround, if you don't need the C++ interface, is to just
build it again after specifying you don't have a C++ compiler, setting
the CXX environment variable to "" before removing config.cache,
rerunning the configure script, and running "make clean all test" again.

--Russ