Re: 970529: Version 3.3 documentation question

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Matthew H. Savoie)

Matt,

> > Sorry, we no longer maintain the User's Guides in Texinfo.
>
> Bummer, that's really too bad, I loved the emacs interface for info files.

I also use and like info documentation for other software.  I'm hoping
there will some day be a MIF-to-Texinfo or HTML-to-info filter that
will permit making info versions available again, but so far the
existing filters seem to go the other direction.

> > If you want an info version in order to have an easily searchable text
> > file, we can make a text-only version available by saving as text from
> > FrameMaker.
>
> This might be nice if it's not a big problem.

OK, I'll see whether it's easier generating ASCII from FrameMaker or
HTML and make something available.

>                                                Also, I've run into a
> couple of errors in the documentation.  Here's the diffs.  If I find
> more of these would you rather have them from the html version or the
> text version?

Since I have to manually edit the fixes into the FrameMaker source,
either is equally OK for me.  Thanks for sending these.  You've been
added to the official netCDF acknowledgments list at

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/THANKS

Incidentally, I've just made new versions of the PostScript files
available, this time with index entries for every function and with a
table of contents that had been inadvertently left out, in case you ever
need to print the User's Guides.  I'll get your fixes in soon.

--Russ