Re: 970529: Version 3.3 documentation question

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Matthew H. Savoie)
>Subject: Version 3.3 documentation question

Hi Matt,

> I just installed netCDF 3.3 on my machine and I was looking for the
> tex files so that I can build texinfo nodes for emacs.   I found the
> links to both the online and compressed html, and the postscript.
> What I really want is the texinfo version.  Can you give me the link
> to the .tex files, or the info files?

Sorry, we no longer maintain the User's Guides in Texinfo.

The announcement of version 3.3, sent to the
address@hidden mailing list and available from

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/announce-3.3.html

contained a mention of this in the "Soon-To-Be FAQs: Questions about the
New Release" section:

    Q: Why are we no longer using Texinfo for the netCDF User's Guides?

    A: We needed to derive both the C and Fortran User's Guides from a
       common source that captured all the differences and similarities
       between them. Texinfo's conditional text facilities had bugs that
       we reported but couldn't work around, so we switched to
       FrameMaker. We use WebMaker to generate the HTML.

If there were a FrameMaker-to-texinfo or MIF-to-texinfo filter, we could
create a texinfo (and hence tex and info) version, but I know of know
such filter.  I'm a fan of Texinfo, so while rewriting the new manual, I
also tried to use m4 with Texinfo for the needed conditional facilities.
It was just too painful, so I reluctantly decided to switch to
FrameMaker.

If you want an info version in order to have an easily searchable text
file, we can make a text-only version available by saving as text from
FrameMaker.  We can also make the single FrameMaker conditional source
for the two user's guides available, if you have a use for it.

--Russ