Re: netCDF stuff

> From: address@hidden (Chris Webster)
> Subject: Re: netCDF stuff
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:36:02 -0600 (MDT)

Chris,

> 32% ftp unidata
> User: anonymous
>
> ftp> cd pub/netcdf
> ftp> ls
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
> cdl
> contrib
> README
[The files are listed in no useful order, and "ls -l" doesn't work.]

OK, the problem is you are trying to ftp to unidata.ucar.edu rather than
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.  The latter is our FTP host, and I had thought all
our documents referred to it, rather than unidata.ucar.edu.  The latter
is our domain name, but is not supposed to be used as a hostname.

If you find any documents or URLs referring to "unidata.ucar.edu" as a
hostname, please let me know, so we can fix them.

unidata.ucar.edu refers to a host that is currently running an FTP
server, but it hasn't been properly configured yet.  We will be moving
our FTP service from groucho.unidata.ucar.edu (a SunOS 4.1.x platform
aliased to ftp.unidata.ucar.edu) to the SunOS 5.x host that
unidata.ucar.edu refers to eventually, and at that time will switch the
alias ftp.unidata.ucar.edu to refer to the new server.

--Russ