970521: netcdf 3.3 with gcc

Kate,

In the above message, I wrote:

> I believe the reason ["make test" in the nf_test/ subdirectory]
> crashes has to do with the way the FORTRAN runtime is (mis)handling
> the value conversion errors (e.g. converting an out-of-range double
> into a signed byte).  I'll investigate.

I haven't been able to duplicate your problem.  Building netCDF 3.3
using gcc(1) version 2.7.2 and f77 version SC3.0.1 results in a
successfull "make test" in the nf_test/ subdirectory.  I'm afraid I
don't have your FORTRAN compiler (f77 version 1.x).

Just FYI, I made the pseudo-random number generation more portable.  It should
now work on systems that don't define RAND_MAX.  It'll be in the next release.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>