Re: 970410: A Guide to GRIB in HTML

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Wolfgang Kouker)
>Subject: A Guide to GRIB in HTML

Hi Wolfgang,

> referring to your WWW page at
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/met-standards.html
> I would appreciate, if you considered my HTML version of Stackpoles
> GRIB Document available at
> http://imksgi1.fzk.de:8080/~kouker/aktuelles/grib/index.html
> as such a useful extension to the available documentation to be
> referred to from your page.

Thank you for letting me know about this!  It look very useful, both for
reading on-line and for searching (for which PostScript is fairly
useless).  Creating the HTML tables must have been difficult, but the
results appear excellent.

I've added the link to your page.

There does appear to be a problem in Section 1, at

   http://imksgi1.fzk.de:8080/~kouker/aktuelles/grib/section1.html

After the "Another Note" paragraph, it appears there is some of the
original un-HTMLized text from the Stackpole document:

    (those that are currently active) as would be found in octet 5.
                         TABLE 1.  FLAG FOR GDS OR BMS
                                 (PDS Octet 8)

but it all appears later in HTML form.

I hope you can maintain this GRIB document to keep up with WMO changes.
We may get a chance to look at it in more detail later, and will let you
know if we see any recent changes that require updates.

Thanks again for making this available.

--Russ