Re: 970407: NetCDF Conventions for Spectral Data

>To: address@hidden,
>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (John Sheldon)
>Subject: NetCDF Conventions for Spectral Data

Hi John,

> Two fast questions:
>
>   1. Has there been any effort to derive a set of conventions for
>       storing spectral coefficients from spectral models?  I thought I
>       saw something about this at one time, but it might just have been
>       "spectral" in the sense of a spectrum of wavelengths...

I thought I'd seen something about this too, but I can't find anything
in the existing conventions about spectral coefficients.  I did find
that Cathy Smith from NOAA/CDC <address@hidden> posted the
following query to the netcdfgroup mailing list in 1994:

    We are trying to establish a standard for storing spectral data in
    netcdf and we were wondering if anybody has done any work in this
    area.

so she may have gotten some responses, or they may have developed
something.

>   2. Are you aware of any software that can read and make sense of such
>       data?

Nope, sorry.

--Russ