Re: 970407: Looking for two fortran netdcf files

> To: address@hidden (Russ Rew)
> From: address@hidden (Brandon Slaten)
> Subject: Re: 970407: Looking for two fortran netdcf files

Brandon,

> > We still don't have access to an HPUX 10 platform (ours is still at
> > 9.05, unfortunately), so we haven't built netCDF for HPUX 10.  However,
> > the latest released version (2.4.3) is available in source form and is
> > known to work on HPUX 9.05:
> >
> >    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z
>
> If it works on HPUX9 it will probably run on 10.x, atleast that is
> what the HP people say.  Anyway I have the 2.4.3 src and rebuilt
> everything.  It does not look like netcdf.inc was created.  I get this
> error during the make test command:
>
> *** ncgen -b test successful ***
> ./ncgen -c -o ctest0.nc test0.cdl > test0.c
> c89 -o ctest0 -I../libsrc  -D_HPUX_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -O  test0.c
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
> cp: cannot access ../fortran/netcdf.inc: No such file or directory
> make[3]: *** [netcdf.inc] Error 1

> test0.f:
> Cannot open file netcdf.inc
>
> f77: Error.  No assembly.

It turns out that there's a problem with HP's f77 compiler that I forgot
about, and a workaround is described in our "Known Problems with the
netCDF Distribution" (at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/known_problems.html):

    On an HP-UX system, the make test command can fail in the fortran/
    subdirectory because the f77 FORTRAN compiler doesn't understand the
    -L../libsrc option. The solution is to use the fort77 compiler instead:

     - Go to the top-level source directory.
     - Unset the variable FC (in which case the configure script should
       decide to use the fort77 compiler) or set it to fort77 (either in the
       environment or in the file CUSTOMIZE depending on how you're
       customizing the installation).
     - Remove the file config.cache if it exists.
     - Re-execute the configure script.
     - Execute the command make fortran/clean.
     - Resume normal installation procedures beginning with make.

> > It's also possible that the netCDF prerelease version (3.3alpha) will
> > work on HPUX 10.20, since it has some portability improvements over the
> > released version, and is somewhat easier to build:
> >
> >    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.3a.tar.Z
>
> I will talk to the developers and see if they would like to try the
> alpha version.

It looks like that won't be necessary, if the above solution works.

--Russ