Re: 970404: netCDF library

>To: address@hidden
>From: Wen Chen <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF library

Hi,

> I downloaded netcdf.tar.Z file and couldn't find the netcdf library.
> Could you tell me if I downloaded the right file?

The file you got from

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

is a "compressed tar file", which contains a packed version of several
directories containing the source code and documentation files for
netCDF.  To unpack it, you need to use the "compress" and "tar"
utilities on a Unix system, or some equivalent on PCs:

  % uncompress netcdf.tar.Z

  [now you have the larger file netcdf.tar]

  % tar -xvf netcdf.tar

  [now you have all the directories, and the directions for installing
   in netcdf-2.4.3/src/INSTALL]

--Russ