Re: 970402: netCDF and FORTRAN

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden,
>cc: address@hidden
>From: Samuel Richard Raisanen <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF and FORTRAN

Hi Samuel,

>       I am working at the Space Research Center at the University of
> Michigan with Professor Joyce Penner doing atmospheric research.  I have
> a number of netCDF files that I will need to read through a FORTRAN
> program.  Exactly what do I need to download and include in the program to
> have a library of netCDF functions.  I am only interested in reading from
> not writing to netCDF files.

For now, just download the latest release of netCDF (2.4.3) from

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

and follow the directions in the INSTALL file to build and install the
release, which will give you a Fortran library (it's not hard).

Or, if you happen to be using one of the platforms for which we have
prebuilt binaries, you can also get one of those instead:

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/

but I just checked and they seem to be mostly a minor revision behind
(version 2.4.2 instead of 2.4.3).  They're probably fine for just
reading netCDF files.

--Russ