Re: 970401: Error compiling netcdf3.3a under HPUX10.20

>To: address@hidden
>From: Breck Owens <address@hidden>
>Subject: Error compiling netcdf3.3a under HPUX10.20

Hi Breck,

> We are trying to update our netcdf programs on a HP workstation.  We
> downloaded the code for NETCDF3.3a and ran the makefile.  We got the
> following error message:
> conflicts: 1 shift/reduce.

That's not an error, but merely a warning message from yacc; it occurs
on all platforms.  I'll see what I can do to reorganize the grammar to
eliminate this message before release, however.  Did all the tests work
OK when you ran "make test"?

> We are trying to link this with Chuck Denham's mexcdf routines to
> interface with MATLAB.  We get the following error from the c compiler:
> ld: Invalid loader fixup for symbol "$00000003".

I haven't seen that error message.  We are able to build and test netCDF
3.3a with no problems on HP-UX 9.05, but we don't have access to an
HP-UX 10 platform yet for testing, or to MATLAB for testing with mexcdf.
Mexcdf is maintained and supported by Chuck Denham.  If this error only
occurs in linking with mexcdf, it may not be a netCDF problem that we
can help you with.

> When we link the same programs with NETCDF2.4.3, everything works fine.

While I can't explain this. netCDF 3.3a is a test pre-release, not a complete
release yet.  It is supposed to be backward-compatible with netCDF
2.4.x.  What you are seeing may be a symptom of a problem, but we would
need more information to be able to track this down.

But thanks for reporting this.  If you can reproduce the problem
independently of MATLAB and mexcdf, please let us know.

--Russ