Re: 970402: netcdf for use with explorer3.5 under irix6.2

>To: address@hidden
>From: Stephan Preuss <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf for use with explorer3.5 under irix6.2

Hi Stephan,

> I hope that my mail isn't misplaced here.
> At our computergraphics institute netcdf was used build modules for
> irix explorer up to version 2.2.2.
> Now they want to move to irix6.2 and NAG Explorer3.5.
> When building their own modules with old netcdf libraries they get
> a linker error that says that they cannot link old 32bit objects with new
> 32bit objects. Because explorer libraries are linked as new 32bit objects
> I tried to recompile netcdf as n32-object too, but without success.
> I got a lot of compiler errors caused by incorrect type definitions and
> so on.
> Now I'm looking for someone who can give me some hint's or someone who
> had had the same problem and solved it successfully.

The currently released version of netCDF, version 2.4.3 available from

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

has been tested and works on IRIX 6.2, except for a problem in the
ncdump test, with a workaround described in

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/known_problems.html#irix-bug

Alternatively, there is a test pre-release of netCDF version 3 that also
works on IRIX 6.2 (with the above-mentioned workaround already incorporated)
available from

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.3a.tar.Z

but it is incomplete, in that the C++ interface, new Fortran interface,
and new User Guides are not yet included.  But if you only use the C
library, it works fine.

There's a reply from our collection of support queries dealing with n32
objects on SGI's that may also be helpful at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/1946

--Russ