Re: 970228: netcdf problem (MIPS R10000, IRIX 6.3)

>To: address@hidden
>From: Daan Vogelezang <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf problem

Hi Daan,

> I am currently using netCDF software (v 2.3.2 june 1993) but have a
> compiling problem on my new workstation (SGI O2 MIPS R10000, IRIX 6.3).
> The f90 compiler does not support -32 compilation. Only -n32 or -64
> works.
> However using either one, I get an errormessage: "bfd assertion fail
> elf.c:690" and "ranlib: libnetcdf.a is not an archive". Can you tell me
> how to get a 64-bit compiled libnetcdf.a library. Since this one is
> necessary for my work. It may be simply adding some compiler options.
>
> Another possiblity is to tell me how to get a newer version (if it
> exists) of netCDF which does not have this problem?

The currently released version (2.4.3) is available as the file
netcdf.tar.Z from the directory:

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/

A pre-release of netCDF version 3 is also available, but the Fortran
support for version 3 will not be available until the next release,
hopefully some time this month.

More information about netCDF is available from the netCDF Web site at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

and especially you might want to look at the "What's New with netCDF"
page at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/whatsnew.html for
announcements and information about new releases.

It turns out that there is a compiler error under IRIX 6.2 which may not
have been fixed for IRIX 6.3, but we have a workaround described on the
page of "Known Problems with the Current Release" at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/known_problems.html#irix-bug

There's also a discussion of the "-n32" and "-64" options in a previous
netCDF support response at:

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/1946

Please let us know if you need more information.

--Russ