960816: netCDF xdr_ link

Aaron,

In the above message you wrote:

>    I got a program from NCAR/CGD called 'gennet.for'.  They told me that
> after I compile it and link with netCDF library I will be able to excute
> it with input of the netCDF filename and get a FORTRAN program to read
> the netCDF file.
>
>    I tried to compile and link with the netCDF library installed by the
> system manager of my local SUN network.  It gave me an error message:
>
> gennet.f:
>  MAIN:
> xdr_enum                            ../lib/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_float                           ../lib/libnetcdf.a(cdf.o)
> xdr_int                             ../lib/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_vector                          ../lib/libnetcdf.a(sharray.o)
> xdr_u_long                          ../lib/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_double                          ../lib/libnetcdf.a(cdf.o)
> xdr_long                            ../lib/libnetcdf.a(dim.o)
> xdr_opaque                          ../lib/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out

The utility that links together a netCDF-using program must be told to
use the XDR library.  On a Solaris system, the XDR library is contained
in the network support library.  Thus, a link-command should be
something like the following:

    ld ... -L/usr/local//lib -lnetcdf ... -lnsl

The `-lnsl' argument references the network support library.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>