960816: NCDUMP

Susan,

In the above message you wrote:

> Hi,  First question - Do you plan to make a version of NCDUMP what will
> work in the windows environment?

What do you mean by `windows environment'?  The ncdump utility in the
distribution already works under Windows 3.x.  We've just gotten Windows
NT and Windows 95 systems and, as far as I know, we do intend to port
the netCDF package to them.

> second question - I have been using a conversion program written by Rich
> Signal (USGS)in 1991.  It works well for most of my data files so I
> believe that program is ok and the data is at fault.  NCDUMP returns
> the following comment when I try to use it on certain files.
> NCDUMP ERROR
>       NCOPEN:  NC_XTYPELEN:  UNKOWN TYPE 13

The above indicates that the type field in a netCDF dataset contains an
invalid value.  This shouldn't happen and I've forwarded your message to
someone who might be able to help you.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>