Re: 960716: extracting data from a netcdf file

>To: "support(a)unidata.ucar.edu" <address@hidden>
>From: address@hidden
>Subject: Question about NetCDF

Hi Rahul,

>  I have a question on extracting data from a netcdf file.
>

> I have a .cdf from which I would like to extract information pertaining
> to peak names. The peak names are defined in the 'variable section of the
> header' as
>

> variables:
>
>   - - -
>   - - -
>   char peak_name(peak_numnber,_32_byte_string);
>   - - -
>   - - -
>

> The peak name has the folowing data:
>

> peak_name =
>
> "Unident0001",
> "Unident0002",
> "Unident0003",
>  so on till
> "Unident0017"; /* i.e. 17 peak_names */
>

> I could not follow the manual on how to define and extract this information
> from the .cdf file.
>
> Please give me an input on this.

Are you using C, Fortran, C++, or perl?  The way to do it with each of
these languages is different.  For guidelines that show what functions to
call from C or Fortran, you could look at the section of the User's Guide
titled "Reading a NetCDF File with Known Names", which is also available
on-line at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guide_6.html#SEC34

For examples of reading character variables from C and Fortran, you might
also want to look at the section "Reading and Writing Character String
Values", in the NetCDF User's Guide and also available on-line at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guide_9.html#SEC68

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu