960716: questions about installing netCDF

Dear Trini Morales

In the above message you wrote:

>       I am Trini Morales, another once. I received your message and I
> was checking my enviroment variables. I modified my pathname (variable
> PATH). Now, 'configure' scripts finds C Compiler and it terminates to
> execute.

Excellent!

> But I still have some problems:
>
> 1) The contexts of 'config.log' is the next:

This file may usually be ignored.  It should only contain error messages
produced by the configure script as it examines your system.  It should
not be ignored, however, if it indicates that the C compiler cannot be
found.

> 2) After, I executed 'configure' script, I continuated with the second point
> (make 'all') of the intallation. So, I obtained the next result:
>
> making `all' in directory /home/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/src/libsrc
>
> gcc -c -O  array.c
> In file included from netcdf.h:301, from local_nc.h:40, from array.c:8:
> /opt/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2/2.4.5/include/limits.h:11:
> syslimits.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `array.o'
> Current working directory /home/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/src/libsrc
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libsrc/all'

It appears that your GNU C installation has a problem: the GNU C header
file <limits.h> includes the GNU C header file <syslimits.h> and the GNU
C cimpiler couldn't find <syslimits.h>.  This is bad.  I suggest that you
show this error message to your system administrator.  They might have
to re-install the GNU C compiler (this must be done every time the
operating system is upgraded).

> 3) I have a question: Can you explain me the meaning of 'conftest.c' file?
> And, where can I find it?

The file `conftest.c' is a temporary file created by the `configure'
script in order to test certain features of your system.  It is deleted
by the `configure' script and shouldn't exist after the script has run.
If you want any particular `conftest.c' file, then you'll have to edit
the configure script: put an `exit' command just before the command the
removes the file.

>       Perhaps, how you told me, my problems continuate being in my
> enviroment variables. So, I show you the output from executing the command
> 'env':

Right now, your problem is a broken GNU C installation.

> DISPLAY=:0.0
> HELPPATH=/usr/openwin/lib/locale:/usr/openwin/lib/help
> HOME=/home/gmt
> HZ=100
> LANG=C
> LOGNAME=gmt
> MAIL=/var/mail/gmt
> MANPATH=/usr/openwin/share/man:/usr/man
> NOSUNVIEW=0
> OPENWINHOME=/usr/openwin
> PATH=.:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/gnu/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/home/focus/dci_appl
> PWD=/home/gmt/ORIGINAL
> SHELL=/bin/csh
> TERM=sun-cmd
> TZ=WET
> USER=gmt
> XFILESEARCHPATH=/usr/openwin/lib/locale/%L/%T/%N%S:/usr/openwin/lib/%T/%N%S
> XINITRC=/usr/openwin/lib/Xinitrc
> WINDOW_TERMIOS=
> TERMCAP=sun-cmd:te=\E[>4h:ti=\E[>4l:tc=sun:

All the above look OK.

>       About the CUSTOMIZE file, I show it, but I didn't modify it, it's
> the original.

Then it should be OK (everything is a comment).

>       I expect that you can help me. I am very grateful for your help.
> And I forgot to say something: I am not Juan Heras, I am Trini Morales.

Ooops!  Sorry about that.

Please let me know if this helps.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>