960528: NetCDF under MachTen unix

Craig,

In the above message you wrote:

> Hi again, Steve!
>
> I took your advice and merged the file called "xdrfloat.c"
> (in the NetCDF package) into the MachTen RPC library:
>
> gcc -c -O xdrfloat.c
> ar rcuv /usr/lib/librpc.a xdrfloat.o
> ranlib /usr/lib/librpc.a
>
> to provide the missing xdr_float() and xdr_double() functions.
> After applying this fix, MachTen passes the battery of XDR tests
> successfully! *Thanks!*
>
> Now I am getting to the testing stage. When I execute ./nctest,
> it bombs at function "ncattput" -- it freezes my machine and
> causes it to crash with a Finder error "unimplemented trap"
> message. This could mean a variety of things:
>
> (1) There is a memory leak in "ncattput".

Not likely since nctest has been used quite a bit on many different
systems.

> (2) Tenon has not implemented the unix/gcc app very well.
> (3) There is a hidden problem in the build of nctest.
>
> Which one is most likely in your humble opinion:  (2)?
>
> Thanks for any further insight you can provide!

I suggest recompiling with symbolic debugging enabled.  Set the
environment variable CFLAGS to `-g' and re-execute the configure script,
e.g.

    setenv CFLAGS -g
    ./configure >&! configure.log

Then, execute a `make'.  Then, drop into the nctest/ subdirectory and
execute a `make test'.  You should wind up with a `core' file if the
utility terminates abnormally.  You should then be able to examine the
contents of the core file using a symbolic debugger (e.g. dbx(1)).

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>