960529: NetCDF installation, Linux

Dear Susana,

> To: address@hidden
> cc: Susana Pires Vilanova <address@hidden>
> From: Susana Pires Vilanova <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: 960524: NetCDF installation

In the above message you wrote:

> Dear Russ,

Russ is out-of-town.  I'll be helping you.

> I'm sorry to be bodering you again but the command 'make all' still does
> not work. When I call the command 'make -n all' it prints the commands
> that would be executed but do not execute them (because of the option
> - - -n). So, ncgen Makefiles aren't make after this command and when I go to
> src and invoke make I get the same error message.
> Best regards
>               Susana

Strange problem.  I suspect it has something to do with GNU make(1) but,
since we don't have access to a Linux system, it might take some time to
track the problem down.

What happens if you do the following in the top-level source directory?

    make ncgen/all

If the above works, then you can try to build and install the netCDF by
manually executing all the following commands (in order):

    make nctest/all

    make xdr/test
    make libsrc/test
    make nctest/test