Re: 960522: transfer problems

Hi Fabio,

>                                                             ... I found
> some other proble when I try to install netcdf. As soon as I invoke
> the script "configure" (I'm working on a unix sistem) I receive some
> error messages like "Incompatible pointer type assignement" and
> "redeclaration of malloc".
> I'm just a beginner c programmer, but I guess I shouldn't find such
> messages. Especially, I know "malloc" is a very common c function, and
> I can't seriously believethere is a mistake in such declaration.
> The system manager of my university said me the problem is possibly due
> to the fact I'm trying to install netcdf on an ALPHA machine. He said
> ALPHA is a relatively new machine, and it is still possible to find
> compatibility problems with others if I'm trying to import some
> software wich handle some low level hardware.
> Do you think it can be true or the problem should not be my machine?

We have tested the current version of netCDF (version 2.4.2) on a Digital
Alpha running Digital UNIX 3.2D-1 (Rev. 41) and earlier versions when the
operating system was called OSF1, and it seems to work fine.  When I run the
"configure" script on this platform, I get the output that I've appended to
this message.  This may help you track down the problem, but if not, please
send us the complete output from running "configure" so we can try to
diagnose the problem.

Also, please direct netCDF questions to "address@hidden", as that
way they will be directed to someone who is here.  I may be away from my
email for much of next week.

Thanks.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Output from running configure:

creating cache ./config.cache
checking for catman... catman
checking for fill-value usage... new usage
checking the installation prefix... /home/russ/upc/netcdf/digital_unix-3.2
checking the installation exec-prefix... /home/russ/upc/netcdf/digital_unix-3.2
checking for cc... cc
checking type of operating system... osf1
checking type of machine... alpha
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking the C preprocessor... works
checking for f77... f77
checking for C++ compiler... g++
checking for yacc... yacc
checking for neqn... neqn
checking for tbl... tbl
checking for ar... ar
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking for tar flags... -chof
checking for dependency generation mechanism... cc -M
checking whether cross-compiling... no
checking size of int... 4
checking size of long... 8
checking type of nclong... int
checking endianess... little endian
checking type of netlong... int
checking type of internal netlong... int
checking for XDR header-file... -I/usr/include/rpc
checking for XDR library...
checking for xdr_long in default library... yes
checking XDR implementation... ok
checking type pointed to by inline XDR function... netlong
checking XDR library for xdr_getint()... no
checking which XDR module to use... xdrposix
checking for function prototype... yes
checking for working const... yes
checking for variadic function support... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking compiler options for IEEE arithmetic... -ieee_with_inexact
checking for size of block buffer... 8192
checking for float.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking C header file <stdlib.h> for function malloc()... declared
checking for package version... 2.4
checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/alpha-osf1
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating xdr/Makefile
creating libsrc/Makefile
creating fortran/Makefile
creating cxx/Makefile
creating ncgen/Makefile
creating ncdump/Makefile
creating nctest/Makefile
creating doc/Makefile
creating port/master.mk
creating port/Makefile
creating libsrc/local_nc.h
expanding `include's in file `Makefile'
expanding `include's in file `xdr/Makefile'
expanding `include's in file `libsrc/Makefile'
expanding `include's in file `fortran/Makefile'
expanding `include's in file `cxx/Makefile'
expanding `include's in file `ncgen/Makefile'
expanding `include's in file `ncdump/Makefile'
expanding `include's in file `nctest/Makefile'
expanding `include's in file `doc/Makefile'
expanding `include's in file `port/master.mk'
expanding `include's in file `port/Makefile'