960521: Troubles on Digital UNIX

Mark,

In the above message you wrote:

> Here is the information that you requested.

> DEC AlphaStation 600
> Digital UNIX 3.2D
> 256 Mb memory
>
> CXXBASEA500     installed       DEC C++ (cxx) for DEC OSF/1 Systems
> CXXLIBA500      installed       DEC C++ static class libraries
> CXXMANA500      installed       DEC C++ manual pages: cxx, demangler and
> library routines
> CXXOLDA500      installed       DEC C++ old packages: oldc89 and ild
> CXXSHRDA306     installed       DEC C++ Class Library, Run-Time Support
> DFABASE380      installed       DEC Fortran V3.8 for OSF/1 AXP Systems
> DFACOM380       installed       DEC Fortran V3.8 Tools & their Man Pages
> DFARTL361       installed       DEC Fortran for Digital UNIX Alpha Runtime
> Support
> F9ABASE200      installed       DEC Fortran 90 V2.0 for OSF/1 AXP Systems

Nice system.

>     1.  Go to the top-level netCDF source directory.
>
>     2.  Send me the file VERSION.
>
> VERSION file is missing.

Missing eh?  You must have an old version of the netCDF package.

>     3.  Execute the command `./configure'.  Trap the output and send it
>         to me.
>
> checking for type of operating system

Yup.  You definitely have an old version.  One that was released before
we ported the netCDF package to the DEC Alpha.

I suggest that you get the latest version.  It's available via the
following URL:

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/

Please let me know if this helps.

--------