960521: Troubles on Digital UNIX

Mark,

In the above message you wrote:

> We are having a problem reading and writing netCDF files on
> a DEC Alpha (Digital UNIX 3.2).  The same code runs fine on
> 32-bit UNIX platforms, (HP-UX, AIX, IRIX, ...)
>
>       int  var_id, ncid;
>       long start[1], count[1];
>       nclong val[SIZE];
>
>       status = ncvarput(ncid, var_id, start, count, val);
>       Return status = -1 on DEC Alpha.

What's the error message?

> I have attempted to change the typedef in netcdf.h for
> alpha from "typedef long nclong" to "typedef int nclong"
> but this seems to have no effect.

On the Alpha, the `nclong' type should be `int'.

> Any clues or previously reported problems when dealing with
> the DEC Alpha systems?

We've never had problems with the netCDF package on an Alpha.  It works
just find on my Alpha (an Alpha 3000/400 running OSF/1 V3.2).

I suggest the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level netCDF source directory.

    2.  Send me the file VERSION.

    3.  Execute the command `./configure'.  Trap the output and send it
        to me.

    4.  Execute the command `make'.  Trap the output and send it to me.

    5.  Execute the command `make test'.  Trap the output and send it
        to me.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>