Re: 960515: NetCDF under MachTen unix

At 6:39 PM May 15, 1996, Russ Rew wrote:

>> making `all' in directory /home/root/netcdf-2.4.2/src/ncdump
>> gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  ncdump.c
>> gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  vardata.c
>> gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  dumplib.c
>> *** Error code 1
>> Stop.

> The next thing it is supposed to do is:
>
> gcc -o ncdump -O ncdump.o vardata.o dumplib.o
  ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a ../xdr/libxdr.a

Hi, Russ!

*Thank you* or your help and especially your patience!

I can't find a "libxdr.a" file anywhere. I noticed that when I make
`all' in directory /home/root/netcdf-2.4.2/src/xdr, it archives the
xdr*.o files into the libnetcdf.a library:

ar rcuv ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a xdr.o xdrfloat.o xdrstdio.o xdrarray.o

so I successfully built ncdump *without* the ../xdr/libxdr.a link:

gcc -o ncdump -O ncdump.o vardata.o dumplib.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a

Is this the right thing to do? I can build the apps in subsequent
directories (ncgen & nctest) using the same hack:

   gcc -o ncgen -O *.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
   ar rcuv ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a *.o
   ranlib ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a

but the Makefile is really "hosed". Even if I get rid of the
$(LD_XDR) symbol in the "LIBS =" line, it stops at the same
place. Ditto for "make test". I'm also getting thousands of
undefined symbols when I try "make all" in the cxx directory.

Help!!! I guess I need to know how to proceed with the xdr stuff,
then fix my Makefile, so I don't have to build everything by hand
(and screw it all up).

Thanks, in advance, for any advise you can give me!
Craig