Re: 960515: NetCDF under MachTen unix

>From: "Dr. Craig A. Mattocks" <address@hidden>

Hi Craig,

> I am trying to port NetCDF to an Apple Power Macintosh 9500
> running Tenon's Power MachTen (v 4.03) BSD unix with X windows.
> (Similar to a Sun or NeXT box.)
>
> I've gotten pretty far, then I get hung at:
>
> making `all' in directory /home/root/netcdf-2.4.2/src/ncdump
> gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  ncdump.c
> gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  vardata.c
> gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  dumplib.c
> *** Error code 1
> Stop.
>
> It seems to have generated the *.o object files in this directory.
> What's it supposed to do next? Am I missing some directories in
> /usr/local besides /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib?

The next thing it is supposed to do is:

 gcc -o ncdump -O ncdump.o vardata.o dumplib.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
../xdr/libxdr.a

where the last argument may not be exactly right for your platform, but
it's something like that.  The reason it doesn't try to use the system XDR
library is that something went wrong when the configure script tested XDR
for your platform, as indicated by the following output from your configure
run:

> checking XDR implementation... configure:
> warning: problem with system-supplied XDR: using own

The XDR library we provide is probably not as good as the system-supplied
one, and you might get further by finding out what problem the configure
script finds with the system-supplied XDR and fixing that.

I'm CC:ing Steve Emmerson on this reply, in case he can tell you more about
how to find the problem configure is finding with the XDR library.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu