Re: 960504: Linux - netCDF 2.4.2

Hi Richard,

> Congratulations! I have just installed the netCDF-library (version
> 2.4.2) on my Linux-PC, and it compiled just out of the box. THANKS.

Thank you for supplying all the details for how to do it.

> I wrote you in an earlier e-mail that I could install netcdf-2.3,
> without any real problems, but this is the first time that I could
> install everything by just editing CUSTOMIZE and type: "make",
> "make test" and "make install". In addition I have (for the first
> time) Fortran support.
>
> My Linux-PC:  kernel 1.3.95
>               gcc 2.7.2
>               g++ 2.7.2
>               g77 0.5.18          <-- important 0.5.16 doesn't work!
>               libc-5.3.12
>               libm-5.0.6
>               libg++.so.27.1.4
>
> My CUSTOMIZE file (without comment):
> CC=gcc
> CFLAGS='-m486 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe'   <-- faster ???
> CXX=g++
> CXXFLAGS=-O -I/usr/include/g++                  <-- Note the include-directory
> FC=g77
> FFLAGS=-O
> prefix=/usr/local
> OS=linux
>
> It is possible (at least with the GNU compilers) to create shared-libraries
> (not only on Linux-machines!) using the appended script.

I'd like to make your note available to others who ask about porting netCDF
to Linux and making shared libraries, if that's OK with you.

I think the best way to do this would be to list Linux with the the other
systems in the answer to the "What Does netCDF Run On?" question in the
netCDF FAQ, with a link to your note for details.  See

  <URL:http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#platforms>

Please let me know if this needs changing, or if you would rather have your
name or e-mail address deleted from the note.  Thanks.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu