960502: netCDF Problem building on Sparc 20 with GCC 2.7.2

Pat,

In the above message you wrote:

> I took you advise and used /usr/ccs/bin/make in place of GNU make.
> This seems to eliminate the warning messages that I get during the
> initial make process, but the build still fails.  The output from
> "make all" is as follows:
>
> pat@frasier% make all
>
> making `all' in directory /new/build/netcdf-2.4.2/src/port
>
> `all' is updated.
>
> returning to directory /new/build/netcdf-2.4.2/src
>

> making `all' in directory /new/build/netcdf-2.4.2/src/xdr
>

> returning to directory /new/build/netcdf-2.4.2/src
>

> making `all' in directory /new/build/netcdf-2.4.2/src/libsrc
>
> gcc -c -O -DNO_STDARG array.c
> gcc -c -O -DNO_STDARG attr.c
> gcc -c -O -DNO_STDARG cdf.c
> gcc -c -O -DNO_STDARG dim.c
> gcc -c -O -DNO_STDARG file.c
> gcc -c -O -DNO_STDARG iarray.c
> gcc -c -O -DNO_STDARG error.c
> error.c: In function `nc_serror':
> error.c:121: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
> local_nc.h:178: prototype declaration
> error.c: In function `NCadvise':
> error.c:194: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
> local_nc.h:183: prototype declaration
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `error.o'
> Current working directory /new/build/netcdf-2.4.2/src/libsrc
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libsrc/all'
> pat@frasier%
>

> This is the same message that I got before I changed to a new make.

I don't get this problem on my SunOS 5.5 system using gcc(1).  It
appears that, for some reason, the configure script insists that your
system doesn't support <stdarg.h> -- which gcc(1) 2.7.2 obviously does.
I have to admit that I don't know what the problem is.

> Would it help to use SUN cc instead of GCC?

I think trying the SUN C compiler instead of GCC is a good idea.  It's
either that or editing the configure script to try and determine the
problem.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command `make clean'.

    3.  Set the environment variable CC to the SUN C compiler,
        e.g.

            $ setenv CC /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc

    4.  Execute the configure script.  Check its output to verify that
        the SUN C compiler will be used.

    5.  Execute the command `make all'.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>