960503: installing with no C++ support

Ping,

In the above message you wrote:

> Hi Steve, thanks for your mail to help my
> installing netCDF problem. It really helps
> a lot. Now I have another question. It seems
> that there is no C++ compiler on the machine
> I want to install netCDF. Can I just ignore
> the error messages and go ahead to install
> the fortran interface, or I have to edit
> the script configure?

The standard way to build the netCDF package without C++ support is to
set the environment variable `CXX' to the empty-string prior to
executing the configure script.  For example, using csh(1):

    % setenv CXX ''
    % ./configure >&! configure.log

and using a POSIX shell:

    $ CXX= ./configure >configure.log 2>&1

You can then procede with a `make all'.

I believe all this is documented in the INSTALL file.

Please let me know if this helps.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>