960502: netCDF Problem building on Sparc 20 with GCC 2.7.2

Dear Patrik Soisson,

In the above message you wrote:

> I have been using netCDF for many years now and have never had
> problems with building the library on SUNOS Machines.  Recently, I
> have been trying to build netCDF on a Sparc 20 which GCC 2.7.2 and
> g77. (or SUN Fortran 90).
>
> I cannot build the library!!  The tail of my error message while doing
> a "make all" is as follows:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/new/build/netcdf-2.4.1/src/libsrc'
> Makefile:480: warning: overriding commands for target `/usr/Util/etc'
> Makefile:477: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/usr/Util/etc'
> Makefile:591: warning: overriding commands for target `/usr/Util/info'
> Makefile:588: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/usr/Util/info'
> gcc -c -O -DNO_STDARG error.c
> error.c: In function `nc_serror':
> error.c:121: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
> local_nc.h:178: prototype declaration
> error.c: In function `NCadvise':
> error.c:194: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
> local_nc.h:183: prototype declaration
> make[1]: *** [error.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/new/build/netcdf-2.4.1/src/libsrc'
> make: *** [libsrc/all] Error 1
>
> I have never encountered problems like this before and I don't quite
> know what to make of it.

Neither do we (we've never seen this problem before).

I'll need some more information.  Would you please do the following:

    1.  Send me the output of the command `uname -a'.

    2.  Tell me which make(1) you're using.

    3.  Go to the top-level, netCDF source directory.

    4.  Remove the file config.cache if it exists.

    5.  Execute the configure script as you did before.  Trap all its
        output and send it to me.

    6.  Send me the file `config.log'.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>