Re: netCDF v3

Brian,

> >array of floating-point numbers without knowing or caring that the data was
> >stored as ints, longs, doubles, or 21-bit packed and scaled integers.
>
>       Thanks much for you response. This is exactly what we've been
> planning to implement in our netCDF wrapper... Do you have any tentative
> dates?

We're going to try to get netCDF 3 released before Harvey Davies leaves in
August, and we also hope to have a good start on netCDF 4 by then.  The guts
of netcdf 3 is already implemented, but now we are working on a rewrite of
the nc_test code for helping with porting, extensions to ncgen,
documentation updates, and a new implementation of the Fortran interface.

The transparent packing is planned for netCDF 4, but I would have a hard
time estimating when that will be available, since we don't know exactly
what other features will be in it yet.  We also may get some more resources
to accelerate development if our presentation on May 17 goes OK.

--Russ