960502: netCDF Problem on a Sparc 20 with GCC 2.7.2

Patrick,

In the above message you wrote:

> 1)  uname -a = SunOS frasier 5.5 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation
>
> 2)  GNU Make version 3.74, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath

This might be a problem.  We've never used GNU make to build the
distribution.  I suggest you use /usr/ccs/bin/make if possible.

> [...]
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/Util

> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /usr/Util
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /usr/Util
> checking for C compiler... gcc
> checking type of operating system... sunos5
> checking type of machine... sun4
> checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for f77... (cached) f77
> checking for CC... (cached) c++
> checking for yacc... (cached) bison
> checking for neqn... (cached) neqn
> checking for tbl... (cached) tbl
> checking for ar... (cached) ar
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... gcc -M
> checking whether cross-compiling... (cached) no
> checking size of int... (cached) 4
> checking size of long... (cached) 4
> checking type of nclong... long
> checking endianess... big endian
> checking type of netlong... long
> checking type of internal netlong... long
> checking for XDR header-file... -I/usr/include/rpc
> checking for XDR library...
> checking for xdr_long in default library... no
> checking for xdr_long in -lrpc... no
> checking for xdr_long in -lnsl... yes
> checking XDR implementation... ok
> checking type pointed to by inline XDR function... netlong
> checking XDR library for xdr_getint()... no
> checking which XDR module to use... xdrposix
> checking for function prototype... yes
> checking for working const... yes
> checking for variadic function support... no
> checking for strerror... (cached) yes
> checking compiler options for IEEE arithmetic...
> checking for size of block buffer... 8192
> checking for float.h... (cached) yes
> checking C header file <stdlib.h> for function malloc()... declared
> checking for package version... 2.4
> checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/sun4-sunos5
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
> creating xdr/Makefile
> creating libsrc/Makefile
> creating fortran/Makefile
> creating cxx/Makefile
> creating ncgen/Makefile
> creating ncdump/Makefile
> creating nctest/Makefile
> creating doc/Makefile
> creating port/master.mk
> creating port/Makefile
> creating libsrc/local_nc.h
> libsrc/local_nc.h is unchanged
> expanding `include's in file `Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `xdr/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `libsrc/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `fortran/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `cxx/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `ncgen/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `ncdump/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `nctest/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `doc/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `port/master.mk'
> expanding `include's in file `port/Makefile'

The above look OK.

> 5)  Output from "make all"
> making `all' in directory /new/build/netcdf-2.4.1/src/libsrc
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/new/build/netcdf-2.4.1/src/libsrc'
> Makefile:480: warning: overriding commands for target `/usr/Util/etc'
> Makefile:477: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/usr/Util/etc'
> Makefile:591: warning: overriding commands for target `/usr/Util/info'
> Makefile:588: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/usr/Util/info'
> gcc -c -O -DNO_STDARG error.c
> error.c: In function `nc_serror':
> error.c:121: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
> local_nc.h:178: prototype declaration
> error.c: In function `NCadvise':
> error.c:194: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
> local_nc.h:183: prototype declaration
> make[1]: *** [error.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/new/build/netcdf-2.4.1/src/libsrc'
> make: *** [libsrc/all] Error 1

It would appear that the configure script -- for some reason -- is
deciding that your GNU C compiler doesn't support <stdarg.h> -- which
is patently false.  I judge this from the -DNO_STDARG specification
in the above.

I just built the current version of the netCDF package (version 2.4.2)
on a SunOS 5.5 system using gcc version 2.7.2.  It went cleanly.  I
suspect that changes to the configure script between version 2.4.1 and
2.4.2 are responsible for your problem.

I suggest that you obtain the latest release and build it.

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>