Re: 960501: netcdf-2.4.1 under Linux

Youcheng Zhang,

> > > When I try to compile netcdf-2.4.1 on Linux PC
> > > I got the error
> > > "Segmentation Fault". The details is as follows.
> > > When I try to "make clean" I got
> > > "Segmentation Fault".
> I can invoke "make" to compile other package. I have tried to
> reinstall "make" "gcc" from cdrom then try again. I still got
> "Segmentation fault" immediately.
>
> Attached below are some error messages in config.log file,
> which is logged after I got first "Segmentation fault" and
> when I try to recompile the package. I have tried to delete
> the whole directory, re-uncompress the package, re-configure
> it, the log file is the same. If I try to "make all" then I
> got "Segmentation fault" immediately.
>
> "This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure: In function `main':
> configure:1908: warning: passing arg 5 of `xdr_vector'
> from incompatible pointer type
> configure:1927: warning: passing arg 5 of `xdr_vector'
> from incompatible pointer type
> configure:2231: conflicting types for `malloc'
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:219: previous declaration of `malloc'"

I don't think the error messages in the config.log file are related to why
you get a segmentation fault from trying to "make all".  Since we can't
duplicate the problem here, could you please try the following:

 1.  Get the 2.4.2 version of the netCDF sources, which was made available
     earlier today as ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

 2.  Try running the configure script, specifying the needed parameters,
     such as OS and CC as you did before.  If you get any errors from
     running configure, please send us a copy of the output.

 3.  If that works, try "make all".  If you get a segmentation fault, please
     send us a copy of all the output and the top-level Makefile, as well as
     config.status.

Thanks for being persistent in helping us find the problem.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu