960304: Trying to build netcdf library on OpenVMS 6.2 alpha

Kevin,

In the above message you wrote:

> I'm trying to build the netcdf library on the following
> supported system:
>
> OpenVMS AXP 6.2
> DEC C V05.0-003
> DEC Fortran V6.3-711

We tested the netCDF distribution on a microVAX running OpenVMS 6.2 --
not an Alpha.  Sorry for the ambiguity.

> First of all, is there a distributed binary for this system?

Sorry, no.  We don't have an OpenVMS system in-house (either Alpha or
VAX).

> I'm beginning by running makevms.com in [.xdr] subdirectory (is this correct?)
>
> I'm getting the following error:
> syslib.ocean> @makevms
> $! --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> $! For making XDRTEST.EXE on VMS
> $! --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> $!
> $! $Id: makevms.com,v 1.12 1996/02/27 23:19:49 steve Exp $
> $
> $ macro :== macro/nolist
> $ ccc := cc /opt/nodebug/nolist/include=[]   !original
> $
> $ define sys sys$library
> %DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of SYS has been superseded
> $ define netinet sys$library
> %DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of NETINET has been superseded
> $
> $ ccc XDR.C
>
>     mode_t umask(mode_t __old_mask);
> ...........^
> %CC-E-DECLARATION, Invalid declaration.
> at line number 256 in module STDLIB of text library
> SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]DECC$RTLD
> EF.TLB;2
> syslib.ocean>

I suggest trying the DEC XDR implementation that comes with the Alpha.
The vendor-supplied one that comes with the VAX is broken, which is why
it has to be replaced on that system.  Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Remove the file [--.lib]netcdf.olb if it exists.

    3.  Go into the [.libsrc] subdirectory.

    4.  Edit the file makevms.com: remove all references to [-.xdr],
        HTONS, and NTOHS.

    5.  Execute the command `@makevms'.

    6.  Repeat #4 and $5 above for the subdirectories [.nctest],
        [fortran.vms], [.ncdump], and [.ncgen].

Please let me know if this helps.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>