960202: netCDF on BSD

Masato,

In the above message you wrote:

> Dear Steve:
>
> Thank you for your message about how we should deal with BSD/OS.
> Around here, computing platform based on PC/UNIX is getting familiar,
> so I strongly want to install NetCDF on my machine!

I should be possible.  The main thing is patience.

> I followed your instruction like these: (by the way I am using
> netcdf-2.4-beta6.)
>
> >>     1.  Go to the top-level source directory.
>
> Done.
>
> >>     2.  Execute the command `make clean'.
>
> Done.
>
> >>     3.  Ensure that the file `config.cache' does not exist.
>
> Done.
>
> >>     4.  Execute the configure script.  Save the output to a file and
> >>    send it to me.  Also, send me the file `config.log'.
>
> First I tried installation without fortran compiler by setting
>
>   # setenv FC ""
>   # setenv CC gcc
>
> then
>
>   # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>
> The following is the output:

The output looked Ok.

> >>     6.  Stop here if the above fails.
>
> It seems succeeded.
>
> >>     6.  Execute the command `make'.  Save the output to a file and send
> >>    it to me.  Also, send me the .m4 file in the fortran/
> >>    subdirectory that you are using.
>
> The log file for 'make' is:

The log file looked Ok.

> >>     7.  Stop here if the above fails.
>
> It seems succeeded.  As I said I tried installation without fortran
> compiler, there happened nothing in the fortran/ subdirectory.  When I
> tried full installation, I found the following message:
>
> make: don't know how to make bsd/os.m4

I think we can solve this problem if you send me the following
information:

    1.  Which of the following FORTRAN data types does your system have
        and what are their sizes in bytes:

            BYTE
            LOGICAL*1
            INTEGER*2
            INTEGER*4
            INTEGER
            REAL
            DOUBLEPRECISION

    2.  What are the sizes in bytes of the following C data types:

            short
            int
            long
            float
            double

    3.  What are the object-file names of FORTRAN routines.  For
        example, if you write the routine FOO in FORTRAN and compile it,
        what is its name according to the nm(1) and ld(1) utilities?  Is
        it foo, foo_, _foo, _foo_, or something else?

    4.  How does the FORTRAN compiler pass CHARACTER variables?  Many
        FORTRAN compilers pass CHARACTER variables as C `char*'
        variables but add integer arguments at the end of the argument
        list to specify the maximum size of the corresponding character
        buffer.  Does your compiler do this?

> >>     8.  Execute the command `make test'.  Save the output to a file and
> >>    send it to me.
>
> The output from 'make test' is:
>
> making `test' in directory /usr/local/src/netcdf-2.4-beta6/src/xdr
>
> gcc -c -O -I/usr/include/rpc xdrtest.c
> gcc -o xdrtest -O xdrtest.o -lrpc
> ./xdrtest > xdrtest_out.new
> Memory fault
> *** Error code 139

This is very odd.  The program xdrtest.c has been checked on many
systems.  I want to know where the memory fault occurred.  Would
you please use a debugger.  For example:

    % gcc -c -g -I/usr/include/rpc xdrtest.c
    % gcc -o xdrtest -g xdrtest.o -lrpc
    % gdb xdrtest
    gdb> run
    gdb> where

Would you please send me the output from dumping the call stack as in
the above example.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>