Re: 960201: netCDF bugfix archive?

>From: Ron Hanson <address@hidden>

Hi Ron,

> A couple of quick questions:
>
> 1. Is there a archive listing all of the bugs which have been
> fixed in the NetCDF API?

I have a mail folder with messages reporting suspected bugs that have either
been fixed or diagnosed as a problem with using the interface.  The original
bug reports aren't all that useful, because some were spurious, and many
described particular instances of a more general problem.  I've tried to
summarize the bugs that were discovered and fixed in the netcdf-2.4-beta
release notes document, at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/release-notes.html

If there's some particular bug description in the release notes about which
you'd like more information, e.g. whether a small example program exists
that demonstrates the bug, let us know and we'll try to provide it.

> 2. I noticed in the old emails that no definate release date has
> been set for version 2.4.  What is the reason for that?

The 2.4 version will only be released when it's finished, and I don't know
how much longer that will be.  What remains to be finished is the
documentation (we're currently working on a revision of the User's Guide),
changes required for porting to platforms we don't develop on (e.g., MSDOS,
Windows 95, OS/2), and a final test on all available platforms.  If any
ports prove to be impractical, we'll release without them.  No more
functionality is being added to netCDF 2.4 at this point.  If there are no
unanticipated problems, netCDF 2.4 might be released as early as the end of
next week, but I can't promise anything.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu