960201: netCDF on BSD

Dear Masato,

In the above message you wrote:

> Dear Sir:
>
> I have a PC on which the BSD/OS2.0.1 is running.  On this system I use
> f2c + gcc as a replace of f77, and now I am trying to install NetCDF.
>
> At first, I tried full installation, but I found an error in 'fortran'
> directory; in this directory default value of environmental variable OS
> was set bsd/os.  Eventually, I found f2c.m4.  Though there is no
> description about this in README file, is this an appropriate
> resource for my purpose?
>
> Second, I tried only "C" installation.  "Make" passed without any
> error, but "make test" resulted in the following error.
>
> ./xdrtest > xdrtest_out.new
> Memory fault
> *** Error code 139
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>
> I would appreciate if you could have any solution for NetCDF
> installation on BSD/OS and f2c + gcc.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Masato

This might be difficult.  The netCDF pacakge was not designed for the
f2c(1) utility and we don't have BSD locally.  We will do our best,
however.

Would you please do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command `make clean'.

    3.  Ensure that the file `config.cache' does not exist.

    4.  Execute the configure script.  Save the output to a file and
        send it to me.  Also, send me the file `config.log'.

    6.  Stop here if the above fails.

    6.  Execute the command `make'.  Save the output to a file and send
        it to me.  Also, send me the .m4 file in the fortran/
        subdirectory that you are using.

    7.  Stop here if the above fails.

    8.  Execute the command `make test'.  Save the output to a file and
        send it to me.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>