Re: 951213: netCDF install problems

>From: address@hidden (David R Duling)

Hi Dave,

> Hello.  I can make the build but I cannot seem to get past make install.  I
> can
> usually hack gnu configs to use the IRIX /sbin/install but I can't seem to get
> this one to work.  Real pain.  Is this install so different or odd that it
> can-
> not be supported ?   I'm trying the netcdf.tar.Z (232pl2) distribution.  I
> could manually copy over the binaries and install the make files but that is
> a real pain.
>
> I notice the SGI is supported by many utilities ...

This question appears in the "Frequently Asked Questions" list at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html

(I'm just giving you the URL in case you weren't aware of it.)

    How can I build netCDF for SGI under IRIX 5.x?

    We tested the netCDF installation on IRIX 4.0 which used a BSD-style
    install, but with IRIX 5.2, the flags on the install utility changed. To
    get around this, you need to define the INSTALL configuration variable
    before building netCDF from the source distribution. How to do this is
    explained in the installation documents. INSTALL should be defined as

         /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst

    which, according to the IRIX 5.2 man pages is an install that uses
    BSD-style arguments. Then rerun the configure script and redo the make
    all. This problem is fixed in the netCDF 2.4 beta release.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu