Re: 951213: netCDF install problems

>From: address@hidden (David R Duling)

Dave,

> Thanks for your help getting netcdf 232 on IRIX 5.x going.   One more little
> thing, I have some data which is supposedly netcdf but ncdump returns an
> error:  ncopen: NC_xtypelen: Unknown type 13.  Do I send this to the mail
> list or what ?  Thanks for helping a newbie.

It sounds like a corrupted netCDF file.  Perhaps it was transferred via FTP,
but not in binary mode, so only 7 of the 8-bits of each byte got sent?  The
exact meaning of the message is that in opening the file, ncopen noticed
that the type of a variable was not one of the permitted 6 types for netCDF
data: NC_BYTE, NC_CHAR, NC_SHORT, NC_LONG, NC_FLOAT, or NC_DOUBLE.

It's best not to send questions like this to the mailing list, which is

    ... intended for discussions and announcements about netCDF interfaces,
    software, and use. ...  A message you post to this mailing list will be
    seen by several hundred people, so it's not usually appropriate for
    asking ... questions about use.  Such questions should instead be sent
    to address@hidden.

That's from the information about the mailing list at