Re: NeXT NetCDF tools

Hi Mike,

>       A couple months ago I inqured about placing some of our NeXT tools
> in your 'contrib' library.  You mentioned simply giving a pointer over to
> our sight as another alternative.  Given the frequency of updates in the
> tools we have thus far that would be a better alternative.  I have finally
> gotten the anonymous FTP site set up and was hoping you could place a
> pointer to my home page which contains a pointer to the anonymous FTP
> site.
>
>       - Mike
>
> http://sanjuan.cs.wwu.edu/DeMan/Welcome.html

Great, thanks, I'll write up something to go into our netCDF software web
document and pass it by you for review/approval.  I may not get to it until
late this week.

Also, you might want to check the HTML in your home page, as it's missing a
quote that causes one of the links not to work with finicky Web browsers
such as Netscape 2.0b3:

   <A HREF="http://www.next.com/>NeXTStep/OpenStep</A> tools to support

should be

   <A HREF="http://www.next.com/>NeXTStep/OpenStep"</A> tools to support

Also, the README in your FTP directory is difficult to read with a web
browser, because the lines are so long.  If you run it through "fmt" or some
such filter, it would be easier to read.

Finally (and I realize this is asking a *lot*, so don't hesitate to
decline), would you consider renaming your utilities something other than
"CDFExtractor" and "CDFGenerator"?  The problem with those names is that
they might be confusing to people who use the NASA CDF data access interface
<URL:http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cdf/cdf_home.html> rather than the Unidata
netCDF interface.  In the past, we changed the default extension for netCDF
files from ".cdf" to ".nc" to try to avoid this confusion, so we've been
through the pain of a name change as well.

--Russ