Re: netCDF Fortran interface

Hi,

>       I am using the netCDF library on an IBM Risc6000.
> which is running AIX v3.2  The netCDF library was built by
> someone else on this platform.  I have no problem reading
> and writing netcdf files using the C routines, but I am
> only able to read - not write - files using the Fortran
> calls.  Specifically: when I try NCID=NCCRE(etc.,.....)
> it always returns a bad flag.  I have of course tested
> the program by writing ascii files beforehand.
> What do you think might be wrong?

If you still have the sources from which the netCDF library was built, could
you please run (or have the person who built the library run) "make test"
from the top-level or from the netcdf/fortran subdirectory to see if the
Fortran interface tests that are distributed with the library run OK?  The
Fortran test program tests every interface, including NCCRE, and checks the
values of the returned error flags.

If the "make test" reveals problems in the library, you might want to
look at a description of a problem and workaround with AIX 3.2 that's
contained in the netCDF FAQ at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html

I've appended a copy of this question and answer, in case it's relevant.

If the "make test" works OK, then I suspect the problem is with permissions.
Do you have permissions set properly to permit you to create files in the
directory in which you are seeing NCCRE failures?  Are you using the NCCLOB
flag to replace any existing file by the same name?  If not, you will get an
error if a file already exists by the name you are trying to create.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

12. Is there a problem with building netCDF under AIX 3.2?

We have observed a problem with the optimizer in the C compiler of
AIX 3.2. The default for our configure script is to specify
optimization by using the "-O" compiler flag, but that causes the
netCDF library to be built incorrectly under AIX 3.2, with the
symptom that "make test" will fail even though there are no compile
or link errors when building from source.

A workaround is to build the netCDF library with CFLAGS="" (or "-g")
explicitly, by setting the environment variable CFLAGS to "" or "-g"
before invoking configure, or by using one of the other methods
suggested in the INSTALL file to prevent the use of the "-O" flag for
compilation.

The specific file that is incorrectly compiled with "-O" is
libsrc/string.c, so another workaround is to recompile that file
without "-O".

       Delete the ncgen and ncdump executables before rebuilding, so they
       will get rebuilt using the new library.

       NOTE: This is no longer a problem on AIX 4.1.2.